Volunteer Counsellor (Qualified)
Harbour Counselling Service is a general counselling service committed to offering free counselling to the people of Perth and beyond. We offer up to ten sessions of face-to- face counselling to our clients. A balanced mix of qualified counsellors and students on placement make up our team. As a volunteer with Harbour you will enjoy working with a diverse client group; freedom to work within your modality; experience of counselling assessments and mentoring students; payment of monthly independent external supervision costs and provision of insurance and administrative support; belonging to a team and working in collaboration with others to a common goal.
We are currently looking for individual and couple counsellors to join our volunteer team.
Provide regular (usually weekly), confidential counselling to clients within Harbour premises.
- Work within your professional body’s codes of Ethics and Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP, COSCA, UKCP, ACC etc.)
- Adhere to Harbour’s policies and procedures for good practice
- Meet your professional body’s supervision requirements
- Ensure all client files accurately kept
- Participate in quarterly team meetings and occasional fundraising efforts
It is expected that you will see 3 clients weekly during one session.Our sessions are Tuesday and Wednesday (morning, afternoon and evening sessions), and Thursday (evening only).
Required skills, qualifications and experience
Volunteer Counsellors must have a professional counselling qualification and be current members of a recognised counselling/psychotherapy body. A small percentage of our overall client load request Christian counselling. These skills would be seen as advantageous and sympathy with a Christian ethos under which Harbour works would be necessary.
- If you would like to chat informally about the role with Ruth Murray (Practice Manager) please email email@example.com or call 01738 449102
- Please download and submit an application from here Volunteer Counsellor Application Form 2024
- Please submit your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have submitted your application it will be screened by Directors of our Board and the Practice Manager and you will be advised if you are to be invited for interview.
- Interview: After your interview you will be advised if you have been successful, normally within a week of interview date.
- If successful, and after completing a PVG update, receipt of favourable references and evidence of a named supervisor, we will familiarise you with agency procedures and your caseload will build in collaboration with the Practice Manager.
Hours: 4 hours to be agreed (Tuesday or Wednesday Mornings (9am-1pm) or evenings (5pm-9pm)
This is an opportunity for someone to contribute to the counselling service delivered by Harbour Counselling. You will be volunteering to support clients and counsellors within the Harbour Counselling Service Office.
- Preparing rooms for clients (refreshments, tidiness, heating, lighting)
- Welcoming clients and showing them to their counselling room
- Letting the counsellor know the client has arrived
- Preparing rooms between sessions
- Welcoming counsellors, providing refreshments as required
- Responding to requests
- Ensuring the building is open at the beginning and locked up at the end.
- Answering the phone
Organisation aims and objectives
Harbour is a professional, independent and confidential counselling service. We offer counselling to all, free of charge, to ensure that everyone can get the support they need. You can find out more about us by visiting our website (see details above).
Travel: There is no bus route nearby so we would recommend having your own transport due to the early start/late finishing time of the role. There is plenty of on street parking around Harbour.
To apply for this role please complete our online application form https://forms.office.com/r/kWasQhy9Q7.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact the Harbour office at the contact details here.